When we discovered our daughter had a peanut allergy, one of the first peanut butter alternatives I heard about was WOWBUTTER. Naturally, I did some research about the ingredients and facility find out if WOWBUTTER is safe for kids with peanut allergies.
WOWBUTTER is safe for peanut allergies. WOWBUTTER ingredients are: Toasted Soybeans, Soy Oil, Cane Sugar, Monoglyceride (from Palm Oil), and Sea Salt. WOWBUTTER does not contain peanuts or any of its derivatives, and it is produced in a dedicated peanut-free facility.
It’s incredible for kids with peanut and tree nut allergies to have safe peanut butter alternatives like WOWBUTTER.
This article will also answer:
- Does WOWBUTTER taste anything like peanut butter?
- Where can you buy WOWBUTTER?
- How do you use it in recipes?
- Is it the best peanut butter substitute?
This article may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure for more info.
WHICH TOP 8 ALLERGENS ARE IN THE WOWBUTTER FACILITY?
Only one of the Top 8 Allergens is present in the WOWBUTTER facility: soybeans, which is the main ingredient of WOWBUTTER.
WOWBUTTER is vegan, and the facility is peanut-free, tree nut-free, egg-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free. For more facts about allergies and other common concerning ingredients, check out the table on their Allergen Facts page.
IS WOWBUTTER SAFE FOR PEANUT-FREE SCHOOLS?
WOWBUTTER markets itself as the “Safe-for-School” and the “PB&J replacement for school lunches.”
But is it really safe for peanut or tree nut free schools?
Yes, WOWBUTTER is a safe alternative that is not a threat to kids with nut allergies because it does not contain any peanut or tree nut ingredients.
Some parents are concerned that WOWBUTTER looks a lot like peanut butter because cause if Johnny sees Susie has (what looks like) peanut butter, then why can’t Johnny bring it too?
This is a perfect example to demonstrate the importance of…
- communication – it’s soy, not peanuts or tree nuts
- integrity – not sending peanut butter to school when you know you’re not supposed to and being honest about what you send
- empathy – understanding the fear and anxiety seeing peanut butter can cause to kids who are severely allergic via ingestion or contact
- education – the severity of peanut allergies and safe substitutions
…in order to keep our kids with food allergies safe at school.
HOW TO FIGURE OUT IF FOOD IS SAFE FOR PEANUT ALLERGIES
There are five steps to figure out if food like WOWBUTTER is safe for someone with peanut allergies to eat. All people allergic to peanuts need to follow Steps 1-3 to avoid eating peanut ingredients, but some also need to do steps 4 and 5 to avoid eating food that has been prepared on the same equipment as peanuts.
- Know if You’re Looking for Peanut or Tree Nut (or both)
- Read the Full Ingredient List
- Read the Food Allergy Warning
- Read May Contain Warnings
- Read Facility Information
For WOWBUTTER, we checked the ingredients to verify there are no peanuts or tree nuts. Next, we verified it is produced in a peanut-free and tree nut-free facility. Therefore, WOWBUTTER is safe for people allergic to peanuts or tree nuts, as long as they are not allergic to soy.
So where can you buy WOWBUTTER?
WHERE TO BUY WOWBUTTER ONLINE
WOWBUTTER is found in some local chain stores, but it also can be ordered online and delivered to your door. Here are a few online options:
- Amazon – Check Today’s WOWBUTTER Deals
- Walmart – Check What’s Available
- Vitacost – Check Vitacost Availablity
We found the most options and best availability on Amazon.
WOWBUTTER OPTIONS: CREAMY, CRUNCHY, SINGLE SERVINGS AND BULK BUCKETS
WOWBUTTER comes in several sizes and textures. From buckets to individual cups, you can conveniently find all the following WOWBUTTER options on Amazon.
WOWBUTTER CREAMY, 1.1 LB JARS (6-PACK) – See on Amazon
Perfect if you like WOWBUTTER.
WOWBUTTER CREAMY, 4.4 LB JARS (2-PACK) – See on Amazon
Great choice if you love WOWBUTTER.
WOWBUTTER CREAMY, 11 LB BUCKET (SINGLE) – See on Amazon
Best choice if you’re obsessed with WOWBUTTER.
WOWBUTTER CRUNCHY, 1.1 LB JARS (SINGLE JAR) – See on Amazon
The right choice if you like a little crunch in your life.
WOWBUTTER INDIVIDUALS, 1.12 OZ CUPS (100-PACK) – See on Amazon
Convenient for taking WOWBUTTER on the go.
WOWBUTTER INDIVIDUALS, .56 OZ CUPS (200-PACK) – Buy on Amazon
Perfect for offering samples or serving a crowd.
There are quite a few WOWBUTTER recipes from the manufacturer’s website and other blogs, so this is clearly a well-loved peanut butter substitute.
Here are a few that made my mouth water that offer a good starting point of things you can make with WOWBUTTER:
- WOWBUTTER Cookies (Nut Free) by The Pancake Princess
- Un-Peanut Butter Cookies (Nut Free and Gluten Free) by Living Well Spending Less
- Nut Free Peanut Butter and Jelly Cups by Oh My Sugar High
- WOWBUTTER and Jelly Bars by Jelly Toast Blog
- PeaNOT Butter Cups by The Allergy Mom
- Frozen Smoothie by WOWBUTTER
HOW TO REPLACE PEANUT BUTTER WITH WOWBUTTER IN RECIPES
You can easily use WOWBUTTER as an alternative to peanut butter in any recipe. Simply replace the peanut butter with the same amount of WOWBUTTER to easily create a peanut-free recipe.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Milkshare by DETOXINISTA
- use 1/4 cup WOWBUTTER in replace of the 1/4 cup peanut butter
- if you can’t do almond milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and oat milk are dairy-free and nut-free alternatives we use
Peanut Butter Honey Chewy Granola Bars by DETOXINISTA
- use 1/2 cup WOWBUTTER in replace of the 1/2 cup peanut butter
HOW TO GET FREE SAMPLES OF WOWBUTTER
If you want to try WOWBUTTER, you can fill out a form on the WOWBUTTER website to request a free sample. When I checked, you had to call to get a promotional code to get a sample. Go to this page to request a sample.
PERSONAL WOWBUTTER REVIEW: PROS AND CONS TASTE, INGREDIENTS, AND TEXTURE
Ok, what you’ve all been waiting for. Here’s my honest opinion and personal WOWBUTTER Review as a peanut butter substitute:
- TEXTURE – no need to stir
- NO REFRIGERATION NECESSARY – will stay fresher longer if refrigerated, but it’s not necessary
- EASY TO USE – easy to spread and replace 1:1 for peanut butter in baking/cooking recipes,
- SAFE – safe for those allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, gluten, and sunflower
- FACILITY – made in a 100% peanut-free, nut-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free facility
- VARIETY – comes in a variety of sizes and textures
- AVAILABLE – can be found pretty easily online and in some stores
- SOYBEANS – not Top 8 Allergen Free
- INGREDIENTS – we try to avoid added sugar and palm oil
- TASTE – roasted, salty taste, different than peanut butter and not my favorite
DOES WOWBUTTER TASTE LIKE PEANUT BUTTER?
Creamy WOWBUTTER is smooth like peanut butter. It spreads like peanut butter. It can be used in recipes just like peanut butter. Some people love how it tastes.
However, I think it has a roasted aftertaste that does not taste like peanut butter. I bought it once and finished the jar, but I did not buy it again.
I found SunButter online and prefer the taste of that over WOWBUTTER. Thankfully, our kids are not allergic to sunflowers. If we had sunflower allergies, we would probably learn to love WOWBUTTER.
SOY FREE PEANUT BUTTER ALTERNATIVE
If you’d like to find a peanut butter substitute that is soy-free and nut-free, our go-to is SunButter. It’s made in a peanut-free and tree nut-free facility out of Sunflower Seeds. It’s our personal favorite peanut butter substitute.
There are several SunButter options on Amazon:
If they ever offer a bucket of no sugar added SunButter, we will be all over that.
FREE LIST OF PEANUT AND TREE NUT-FREE SNACKS
If you’re looking for more safe store-bought snack ideas, you’ll love my FREE ALLERGY FRIENDLY SNACK GUIDE. Everything is Free of the Top 8 Allergens (including peanuts and tree nuts) that you can easily order from 3 different online grocery stores. Check it out by signing up below.
WOWBUTTER REVIEW SUMMARY
WOWBUTTER is a great peanut butter alternative for anyone who is not allergic to soybeans and doesn’t mind added sugar. The fact that they keep the facility 100% free of peanuts, tree nuts, and many other allergens is a blessing for allergy families who avoid shared equipment and facilities.
While WOWBUTTER is not our personal favorite, it’s well-loved by many other kids and parents affected by peanut and tree nut allergies. If we had sunflower allergies and couldn’t eat SunButter, we would probably give WOWBUTTER another chance.
It’s easy to spread, comes in both creamy and crunchy, comes in a variety of sizes, and it’s easy to find on Amazon and some local stores.
WOWBUTTER helps everyone, even those with peanut and tree nut allergies, confidently enjoy safe “PB&J sandwiches”, WOWBUTTER cookies, and creamy PB banana smoothies.
SAVE FOR LATER AND SHARE WITH OTHER FOOD ALLERGY PARENTS
ALWAYS CHECK LABELS YOURSELF
Ingredients and manufacturing procedures can change over time. Please recheck food labels to make sure they fit your dietary needs before eating.
I am a constantly-researching food allergy mom. However, I am not a medical professional and nothing on this blog should take the place of your doctor’s recommendations.
Want fewer allergic reactions? Exasperated from trying to figure out the cause? I've been there. Mysterious red rashes around mouths, eczema flares, horrible reflux, hives, colic, chronic candida...
What foods, snacks, and personal care items are made in peanut free facilities? As parents of a child with a severe peanut allergy, we researched and curated a list of food brands that use dedicated...