Food Allergy Parents take food with us pretty much wherever we go to make sure we have safe food. So what are some of the best containers and tools available to help make this task a little easier? Here are our favorite on-the-go food containers and tools that hopefully can make food allergy life a little easier for you too!
1. HOT LOGIC MINI
If I want a hot meal, I always reach for our Hot Logic Mini warmer. It plugs into an outlet and has a warming tray.
You can warm food up before you leave, in the car (like our van has an outlet in the back), or when you get somewhere like a hotel or friend’s house.
The Pyrex 3-cup rectangular containers fit perfectly and help make eating a warm lunch on the go possible, even if you don’t have access to a microwave or oven.
2. PYREX 3-CUP RECTANGULAR
We have two of these rectangular glass Pyrex containers and always grab one to go in our Hot Logic. You’ll frequently find out Chicken Brats and Hot Dogs from Aldi lined up in one of these so the whole family can have a warm meal on the go.
3. REUSABLE STASHER BAGS
I got sick of buying and throwing away plastic bags. It seemed like such a waste, and I knew it was horrible for our planet.🌎 So, I got a set of reusable Stasher bags and fell in love!
Now I have LOTS of Stasher bags! They’re seriously perfect for food allergy families or any family who takes food on the go.
A little about Stasher bags:
- made from food-grade silicone
- top rack dishwasher-safe
- use in the freezer, refrigerator, pantry, or to take snacks on the go
- various sizes: half-gallon, stand up, sandwich, snack, pocket, and go pouch
- lots of new cool colors and designs
We have all the sizes except the new go pouch and we honestly use them daily to store food in the fridge, pantry, or freezer at home, or to take safe food on-the-go!
We’ve had some Stasher bags for over 3 years and it feels great to still be reusing the same bags. They’re definitely worth the investment.🌱
4. PLANETBOX LUNCHBOX
We get SO many compliments on these lunchboxes! 😍
Using PlanetBox lunchboxes is an easy way to make lunch more fun for kids–even if they’re restricted due to food allergies.
There are several sizes available, and we are very happy with the PlanetBox Launch Lunchbox for our kids because:
- the size and compartments are just right for our kids’ appetites (they eat a lot for their size, and most Bento-style lunchboxes don’t hold enough food)
- we prefer stainless steel over plastic
- they’re dishwasher safe! 🎉
- kids loved getting to pick out their own magnets to make their lunchbox special
You can buy a PlanetBox Launch with a cool carry bag on Amazon or order direct from the PlanetBox website.
Need some lunch ideas? Here are 10 Allergy-Friendly Bento Box Lunch Ideas that we packed in our PlanetBox.
5. SNUG FLASK WATER BOTTLE
We take water bottles wherever we go. I’ve tried many different ones and so far these Snug Flask Water Bottles for Kids are my favorite!
I like them because:
- kids like using a straw
- lid closes (keeps out germs, bugs, and dirty fingers)
- easy to carry with just one finger thanks to the carrier ring (hello, mama with full hands!)
- thin bottles fit in cup holders in car seats and strollers
- mouthpiece is silicone but lasts longer than the other brands we bought (we were always having to replace the tops)
6. CROCK-POT LUNCH WARMER
This crock-pot lunch warmer is another handy way to eat a warm meal on the go. I bought one of these when I was packing leftover lunches for work and wanted to avoid the long line for the microwave.
You can pack a serving or two (depending on serving size) of soup, stew, casseroles, pasta, or oatmeal in this. We use this for family gatherings when we’re not sure if the soup/stew served is safe or not. That way, our daughter can still have the “same” meal as everyone else but we’re confident it’s safe.
This is a convenient way to serve a warm meal anywhere there’s an outlet, like camping in a camper, hanging at a friend’s house for the day, or staying in a hotel.